Do your windows need replacing? How can you tell? There are a number of reasons why your windows could become damaged to the point that they need replacing. Of course accidents or drastic storm damage is typically quite obvious and visible. However, it is not always that simple. A poor installation can lead to water damage building up over months before becoming noticeable – this is one reason why it’s important to always trust the professionals to install your windows and doors. Even when an installation is done well, eventually a window can get to the point where it needs replacement through normal wear and tear – as houses age they can shift and affect the window installations. This sort of damage can happen over time, and is not always obvious. Here are some signs you can look for that indicate it is time to consider replacing your windows:
- Draft. The first and most obvious sign that your windows need replacing is that you can feel a draft, even when the window is closed. A drafty window can be caused by poor installation, faulty seals and more, and can significantly affect your home’s temperature, causing your heating or cooling system to have to work twice as hard to keep up.
- Noise. An often overlooked symptom of faulty windows is significant road or outside noise. If your windows don’t block the outside noise, it’s likely they are not sealed correctly, or they were poorly made to begin with. New energy star rated windows can help reduce outdoor noise.
- Fogging / Condensation. An easily visible sign that moisture has gotten between the window panes, which means your seals have failed. Once the seals fail, any insulating gas that was in the window will leak out, causing the window to be very inefficient.
- Difficulty opening/closing windows. If your windows were not well installed, or have been damaged somehow, they can develop balance issues and become difficult to open or close.
- Window frames are soft or chipped. If your window frames are soft to the touch and chipped, it is likely that they are already beyond repair. Soft window frames indicate rot and water infiltration. It’s possible that they will start sagging, if they haven’t already.
If you see any of these signs, it’s time to contact Lake City Home Improvements to get a free, no-obligation assessment and quote. Remember, replacing your windows can save you hundreds of dollars each year on your energy bill! Lake City Home Improvements offers multiple ENERGY STAR® rated window options through our industry partner, Gentek Building Products.
Each of our vinyl replacement windows is virtually maintenance-free, meaning you will never have to sand, paint, stain or refinish your windows. Lake City replacement windows are also available in a variety of interior colors to match the style of your home.